Recollective is a SaaS web application looking to dominate the online research space through innovative features and industry-leading usability. If you're passionate about web applications and like small agile teams—where you can make a significant impact—then Recollective is for you. We are currently seeking a top-calibre DevOps specialist.
We love building solutions that bring people together to connect, engage and collaborate with intuitive ease and reliability. The company was founded in 1998 but we pivoted to build and launch Recollective in 2010 and have been iterating it ever since.
Recollective has now been deployed by over a 1000 of the world's top research agencies and brands to conduct qualitative research in nearly every industry. On Recollective, businesses can easily engage stakeholders in structured or unstructured activities within their own private community supported by familiar social features. Information may be collected, socialized and analyzed via computer desktop or mobile device and incorporates text, images, audio, video, files, and rich media exercises.
The Senior DevOps Specialist will be a part of the team that is responsible for designing, developing, and operating the infrastructure and applications. You will be in charge of the management of all cloud based deployments across all supported geographies.
Overview of the Role
Reporting to the CTO, the DevOps role is important in the continuous delivery, deployment, auditing, analysis and running of highly available and resilient distributed systems for our customers. The DevOps role works under general direction and is responsible for combining mature technical knowledge and skills with coaching skills to contribute to the quality, effectiveness and efficiency of the technical work completed by them and their colleagues.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Design, propose and implement build, deployment, and configuration management; test implemented designs
- Build and test automation tools for infrastructure provisioning
- Monitor availability and performance of production systems and find ways to improve
- Handle new tenant configuration including cloud applications and hardware
- Maintain and evolve tooling needed by the team, business stakeholders, and quality personnel in their operational responsibilities
- Support security compliance activities
- Contribute to the evolution of the organization’s security posture
- Deploy new application versions and tooling to streamline and monitor this process
- Construct and own CI and CD pipelines for multiple environments
- Provide technical guidance and educate team members and coworkers on development and operations
- Document and design various processes; update existing processes with a focus on quality
- Brainstorm for new ideas and ways to improve development delivery
- Consult with peers for feedback during testing stages
- Propose improvements to infrastructure and application development
- Determine, propose and recommend good practices and procedures
- Assist in the develop and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans
Position Specific Competencies
- Accountability: Balances organizational, team and individual commitments
- Communication: Adapts communication to respond to audience or situational requirements
- Teamwork: Encourages others to participate in team activities, ensures teams are working effectively
- Leadership: Promotes and builds internal commitment
- Problem Solving: Analyzes complex issues to develop approaches or solutions that are considered forward thinking and best practice
- Risk Management: Reports on risk concerns and develops responses, endures the organization is prepared for associated risks
- Planning and Organizing: Continuously adapts priorities and responsibilities in response to changing needs
- Critical Thinking: Gathers and analyzes information using past experience, and organizational practices and processes in order to set a course of action
- Adaptability: Continuously adapts behaviours and approaches to address specific situations
- Decision Making: Adapts decision making based on circumstances or when presented with unclear information
- Experience with high availability systems on AWS cloud environments
- IAM roles and policy management; VPC, Security groups and other AWS networking configurations
- RDS, S3, EFS, EC2, ALB & Autoscaling
- Security Hub, GuardDuty, CloudWatch and Cloudtrail, Macie.
- CloudFormation, Elastic beanstalk, ECS, ECR and Fargate
- Knowledge of scripting and configuration languages (Bash, YAML, Powershell)
- Experience with SQL queries and DB scripting (migration, data analysis, data cleanup)
- Solid understanding of network administration and underlying concepts
- Experience setting up logging infrastructure and troubleshooting production issues
- Experience developing and deploying SPAs and REST APIs web applications
- Good knowledge of at least one automation tools (CloudFormation, Terraform, Chef, Ansible)
- Good knowledge of Docker containers and their orchestration
- Solid grasp of application and infrastructure security concepts
- General knowledge of Git and other version control systems
- Understanding of the requirements coming with working in complex regulatory environments, considering standards and compliance limitations
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering
- 5+ years relevant experience or equivalent
- 3+ years of system administration or devops experience
- 2+ years experience of AWS experience
This position is located at our head office in downtown Ottawa (World Exchange Plaza). Due to COVID-19, all employees are working remotely. Applicants located outside of Ottawa are welcome to apply but must be willing to work within a North American time zone, preferably Eastern Time.
We welcome you to join a fun but driven culture that promotes diversity and growth through an open and transparent approach to business. We offer competitive compensation, superior health benefits, RRSP matching and many extras such as company-sponsored social outings, free snacks, coffee and more. We are looking forward to welcoming everyone to our brand new headquarters at the World Exchange Plaza.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume with a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the above requirements.